Pages

Wednesday 14 May 2014

Going Vegan was easy for me.

I haven't been blogging much lately so I just thought that I would make a post about how and why I'm motivated to remain a vegan since I often get asked why I am one.

I initially began a vegan diet due to health problems which inevitably lead me into learning more about the other reasons for the lifestyle. I think since going vegetarian and seeing videos online on the food industry I knew that I would go vegan eventually. It just has been and still is a very gradual process for me. A lot of people may find it hard to understand why someone may even think of giving up meat because it must be so difficult and be 'sacrificing' some pleasures in your life. Some say that even though they think it is cruel for the animals, you just get past it by not thinking about it when you eat meat. This is how I got by eating burgers and chicken after being convinced for many years that I had to, despite being repulsed by the idea that I was eating dead muscle.

The main reason why I have decided to stay vegan in the end is because I know to me, it is logically the right thing to do. Denying the fact that animals have feelings would be denying that look of curiosity and excitement that a puppy gives when seeing a cat and the fear in that same cats eyes when they see that same puppy. If it's clear that these animals have feelings, what makes any other different? They all feel fear, pain, grieve...

Some people have the capacity to not think about where the food comes from or how it was made. Some have the capacity to even kill animals themselves for their own meat. I still have respect for these people because we're all different but I can't eat meat or dairy anymore and 'just don't think about it'. That would be repressing my conscience which I have learnt the hard way before is not good for me mentally. This is why I don't see it as a 'sacrifice' but more as something that makes me happier.

I've chosen to be vegan because I can.




No comments:

Post a Comment